Thrive With Less

Hey guys!

So last year during my travels I got to witness a lot of amazing sights but also an overwhelming amount of poverty. My own neighbourhood was a place where, when Paris had first boomed as a city, the slums and working class populations were situated. Even now there is remnants of this with substance addiction and homelessness on every street corner and it made me think in the winter months how these people survived when I thought I was struggling. 

My French sociology class was heavily based on issues of poverty in both Paris and the wider world, and brought up the idea of “the line” - a measurable amount of money that if one is under, they become considered as living in poverty. For much of the wider world, this line is drawn for absolute poverty at living off $2 a day. 

So, in line with my cultural awakening and studies last year, I’ve decided, along with a friend who also studied alongside me, to raise awareness for the sheer difficulty of achieving this by undergoing it myself. The idea? $10 to spend on food for 5 days. Focus less on the fact that that’s pretty weak for anyone as in the real world these people do this day in-day out, and more on the idea of diverting money to a greater cause than your morning coffee and and let’s raise some dough together by donating to my goal total of $400 and to perhaps what might be a huge difference for the lives of many.


And if you have time, watch this documentary. It's just shy of an hour long, but it's simplicity and powerful message is something that may encourage you to reevaluate and even enhance your life.

Popular Posts

Image

Southbound