The Fatal Sweet n' Salty Combination {Recipe}

I'm busy writing a book. Well, it's a recipe collection, but it's more anecdotal and less focussed on getting the food on the plate and into the mouth as it is about attaching meaning and experience to food.  Of course, I have no real prior experience with book writing. I did a wicked short story for my Higher School Certificate Extension English II work but that hardly counts as anything (I really am proud of that little story, however).

I guess by now I have realised that food is a big part of my life and I associate a lot of life's adventures and happiness with different foods, flavours, tastes. 

I want to gauge what type of writing really engages the youth of our generation. I guess you can say I need this for myself. So I centred the book around the munchies. And cravings. Because meal planning is absolute bullshit, I am sorry (not sorry). I don't have the time, or the fridge space, or the money for Tupperware (or even the motivation AM I RIGHT?) to execute such a master plan. And let's be frank (no, not from Lano and Woodley), when your body is screaming YO I WAN SUM CHOCOLUD as I am sure it does, you've got to fulfil that inner yearning once and for all. 

The idea is then to provide recipes that satisfy particular cravings, or suit certain situations you find yourself in. Of course, focusing on a healthy whole food approach to cooking and food preparation, without sacrificing flavour of whole body, mind and soul fulfilment.

So here I have for you a 'taster' of what's to come. I will have snippets from the book as I progress in here as it comes along, and you can even ask for updates of the book via the comment option below my posts.

Satisfyingly Salty Almond Butter Cups



 photo IMG_4489_zpsdd12c348.jpg



Ingredients

For the almond base:
  • 3/4 cup almonds
  • 1/4 cup rolled oats
  • 1 tablespoon melted coconut oil
  • 2 tablespoons raw almond butter 
  • 1 tablespoon maple syrup
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla essence 
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • salt (to your liking)
  • 1 coin-sliced banana


For the chocolate:
  • 3 heaped teaspoons cacao powder
  • 1 + 1/2 tablespoons coconut oil
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 tablespoons maple syrup


 photo IMG_4457_zps631edb25.jpg


  1. Put the almonds and rolled oats into a mixer and blend until it is of a powder consistency
  2. add the remaining ingredients except for the banana to a bowl with the almond oats flour and stir until completely mixed
  3. divide into equal portions the mix into cupcake patties and pat down firmly to create a biscuit-like base
  4. add a coin of banana to the top of each, or layer the banana coins to cover the top of each portion of mixture
  5. With the ingredients for the chocolate, simply stir together then pour even amounts over the banana and base layers
  6. Stick into the fridge for 30 minutes or until frozen


 photo IMG_4459_zpsdcaf31af.jpg





Popular Posts

Image

Southbound