What I wish we understood more about Trauma

How prevalent Trauma is in our lives. Whether we're aware of it or not, it affects us in a myriad of ways. I had no idea that I had experienced emotional trauma from a series of events in my life until just recently when triggers from that memory arose from a connection I had with a friend, and I disconnected in total fear - not understanding why until recently. 

I have since been actually working through the memory itself. Allowing my brain to follow the narrative and to identify triggers so that I can better manage it. I am grateful for earlier professional development this year that allowed me to come across trauma treatment strategies. I just wish I was more patient and graceful towards myself to recognise that I could be affected by the behaviours of others in my past in such a real way. I told myself and others I was strong, when the whole time I was really hurting. 


I wish, as Christians, we were more aware of trauma. Come to think of it, our brains are warped by the traumatic effect that sin has had over our lives for thousands of years. Our Saviour, thankfully, is in the business of treating the affects of trauma. He is well-versed in cognitive behavioural therapy (the author of it, if you will), and knows how to gently assist us in recovering not only from the short-term traumas and negative life experiences we face, but readying our brains and hearts to see heaven and God's company for what it truly is: light and love. 




Popular Posts

Image

Southbound