Well that was pretty great

Shit.

(Well there goes my first resolution of swearing less)

2013. Deux milles treize. What an absolute whopper. No wonder I've started this new one with a serious lie-in, a bit of the old Chris Isaak and partial abstinence from cheeky foods (too bad for the ill-timed arrival off my Australian food parcel from mum). This time last year I was hovering between two lives, ready to traverse oceans and soils to finally get where I am today. This time last year I was also extremely hungover and lying on the side of the pool like a lizard with a few friends in the summer sun after a juicy delicious BBQ.

I have been to over 10 countries, countless cities, wandered accidentally into the prettiest hole-in-the-wall churches, tasted every flavour of ice-cream on the ice-cream rainbow spectrum, cast away my inability to trust easily in favour for friendship and love, fallen in and out of love with side streets and alleyways, tolerated terrible coffee in exchange for the welcome arms of a truly dazzling city, sung and swung freely through the boulevards and quiet midnight air with gorgeous, like-minded people and pawned in a secure life for one of nothing more than simple happiness. I've also eaten a shit tonne of amazing food. (Is saying "shit tonne" counted as swearing? It's just such a great saying...!)

Starting this new year with the adventures continuing on here in Europe (and very soon back home in the land down under *cue flute riff*), I just don't know how last year could have gone any differently. I have been endlessly blessed by support and by independence and have fallen in love with the world so much that all perspectives of life that I had last year and those prior have been shaken from me the way a shudder ripples through your body to shake off old, unsettled feelings.

I start this year with new friends, newfound youth, and a little bit of a dirty hangover (hell, what's New Years without a cheeky drinking sesh?). Some people say "don't rely on a new year for change" - I think that is bullshit. There's something about that clock turning 12 that instantly dissolves all negativity of the year prior, beckoning change. And at the same time, it reminds you of everything truly excellent that has passed - as long as you allow it to. Whilst we shouldn't rely on it for change, we should allow it to encourage change. Don't wander into a new year with negativity. Each year is a cycle - manmade or not - and no one needs to repeat something in fear of experiencing the new.

This year I go back to the roots of life. The travel bug did not bite me, it ravaged me, and I am now ready to head home, to make home, to be home and to fall in love with home all over again. To have a feeling of stability that I've never truly had this past year (though that was, at the same time, exhilaratingly real and fresh and exciting for me and I regret not one moment).

Yo 2014, let's have at it.


Popular Posts

Image

Southbound