The Mustard Seed



We are so quick to throw away an idea. To say "no that's impossible." But all that shows is not that the thing or idea is impossible, but that we do not have enough faith in the possible. 

The idea of "faith as small as a mustard seed" has hit me hard recently. Being drawn back to my love for God, I've found myself having to remind myself that things aren't always possible of my own accord, but the God that I love and will to serve is able when I may not be. I tend to forget (as a lot do) that if He did create this entire universe, then doing something minor for me or for others is not at all impossible.

You see, a mustard seed is tiny. But God Himself was the originator of that seed. He said "yes, that seed will be born from a tree." And that seed equally grows to become another tree. There's a wonderful duality in the idea of saying "faith as small as a mustard seed" - firstly, there is the idea that it will grow as long as you are willing to say "yes I will start to put hope and trust in God" and secondly it is the idea that faith is something that God Himself created, the seed He created. It is not of ourselves - we can rely entirely upon Him and watch as that faith just blossoms.

Friends this has been my battle the last few months and beautifully and timely that tree has been growing. It is fruitful, its roots are firmly grounded, it stands outstretched into every part of my life and in times of fear I appeal to that faith with answers given very visibly in the results of prayer and meditation with God. I have had more "mind blown" moments than I can count, I've had the most obscure prayers answered, the most timely phone calls from friends just as I was about to break down due to my tendency to overthink, and in that perseverance I have been able to grapple with some really tough ideas about humanity and how the word of God pretty much spells out the cause, symptoms, treatment and cure - AND future prevention. 

Faith as small as a mustard seed is enough to move mountains. It's enough to climb them, enough to get through the valleys between them and cross the rivers amongst them. It reminds you of how with Christ, all things are possible. 

Amen to that.


Popular Posts

Image

Southbound