La Neige


There are moments when we all just need a kick in the bum. A "come on buddy, things could be worse" or a "matey... the world is out there demanding to be discovered" is something we need regularly in a society when we get so complacent and "bored" and want more from everyday life without being willing to seek it. 

I needed that kick in the bum this morning. I need that kick in the bum often. I've become, of late, pretty lazy. I use the cold as an excuse for everything (isn't that what people from England are famous for anyway?), and then end up being disappointed with myself for getting nothing done. So last night, after fending off the snow to walk to my friend's place to chat and giggle and throw snow balls, I had realised how good it felt to just do something you don't feel like doing. To challenge your lazy butt to get on up and groove about. To willingly make things happen, and then let the benefits arise where they may. 

I finally got home around 11pm last night, and just as I walked into the house, my housemates and some friends were heading out with large pieces of cardboard boxes to go sledding in the snow in the park near our house. My face lit up, my energy spiked, and we all headed out to the park, stopping near a field covered in snow with a plump little horse trotting up towards us. The sky and the ground were the same colour, it felt safer and more quiet than a normal night, the snow silencing any feeling of worry, stress, and unsafeness. It was beautiful. A reminder to me that you need to seek things that are good, to realise that goodness is put here on earth for our enjoyment, and that the One who put it there just wants us to cherish each moment of joy we have, a promise of things to come.

This morning, I finally left the house and went for a walk in the same park that had, last night, been permeated by our souls only. This morning the dogs were out, children playing in the snow with parents. The snow seems to bring everyone together, to enjoy innocent things - to enjoy company free of the need for any other crutch. I felt elevated, I felt grateful. I felt whole.

Popular Posts

Image

Southbound