The Magic of "Home"

For the last three months, I've lived out of a suitcase. A backpack. In a tent, on buses and trains. Planes. Cars. Sleeping on all sorts of surfaces. Since I left Australia, it's been over a month since I was able to properly prepare a meal. Wash my clothes without asking someone or paying for it in a laundromat. 

I am finally home. 

And home, for me, right now, is Leeds. Leeds, West Yorkshire. England. It's been a long time coming, we've been talking about this place and being here since this time a year ago. My friend Holly and I saved, planned, turned down nights out for the possibility of it affording us another weeks groceries from Sainsbury's. And so arriving today, with everything I've been carting around Europe with me, and putting it all down in my very own room was a gift from heaven. A dream and goal realised in itself. Achievement unlocked. Level up. Mario!

My housemates Cynthia and Anna, two girls from the continent, are lovely. Cynthia greets me at the door, walks back into the kitchen and grates a large amount of cheese onto gratin dauphinois before chucking it back in the oven. I think to myself: a Frenchie and lover of cheese, I'm bound to get on with this lady right here. I pop out and head back into the city in search of bedding. From a mattress protector all the way up on the stratigraphic layer system of a made bed to potentially a throw rug is required. I remember an episode of Miranda when she is confused for a sales person in a bedding store - "What TOG is this?" TOG. WHAT? Thickness of your "duvet" (pron. DOOVAY... goodt...). I opt for a 13.5 TOG. One of the higher TOGs to keep me warm in the north of England. I order it from Argos. No elves appear from behind the shop but rather a man suddenly calls my number. He's not even wearing a elf hat. 1/10 service wouldn't Shazam. 

Snuggling into bed last night was a magic experience. No more laundry floors or hard rocky campgrounds. No more tiny Ikea blankets on couches. This gianormous bed and all the things wrapped around me are forever mine. Leeds - already being good to me.


Popular Posts

Image

Southbound