Sore Soles + a Soaring Soul

I have, since the dawn of time (the dawn of Spotify), had a playlist called Le Week-end (you guessed it, it's french for "The Weekend"). On this holy playlist is just all the good stuff that you listen to whilst grooving in the morning in the kitchen with a spatula in your hand as you watch the fat sizzle around bacon and ready yourself to catch the toast as it soars high into the sky from the toaster. 

Le Week-end is my "life is good, it's the weekend, slow yourself down and just put a smile on that bloody dial" gift to myself. The likes of Aretha, Louis Armstrong, The Shirleys, Sam Cooke, Amy Winehouse, Leon Bridges, Otis Redding, Stevie Wonder, Etta James (the list goes on... quite literally) feature and bring so much soul to my soul and even to my soles - my feet twisting and shaking and I'm on another level in that moment. I'm most likely hungover, too. 

An ode to chilling, to smiling ecstatically because from deep within you, there's this unstoppable urge to explode with good feelings, Le Week-end gets me, and I it. Since arriving in Leeds, I've been excited to try out clubs and dance halls with a motown, soul, funk n' groove feel and last night I finally had that opportunity at Move On Up at the Hifi. 11pm and the doors opened, yours truly one of the first onto the floor, shaking her sillies out and having such a groovy, stress quenching time that I left two and a half hours later with sore soles and a soaring soul. To have a place to go in the evening and DANCE, throw your body around, bump and grind and float amongst a crowd of like minded beings. I was on another level. And I felt good (dn-ne-ne-ne-ne-ne-ne).... I knew that I would.

Popular Posts

Image

Southbound