Even Cowgirls Get The Blues

I got stopped at a bakery this morning by a woman, she was eyeing off my boots. "Hi, I'm sorry to bother you, but are those R M Williams?" I replied that they weren't, that they were Jeffrey Campbell, but they were a brilliant quality shoe. We got talking about everything. I mentioned I had seen someone wearing them in Paris, and we got chatting about writing - about how she had just finished writing a book that took her 8 years, with a large pile of rejection letters sitting on her desk at home. We talked about doing what we ought to do and what we ought to do - the only differences being that of society's expectation and expectations of our own inner being. 

She quoted her favourite author to me - Tom Robbins, saying that "love is an outlaw". When we finally parted ways, she left the biggest smile on my face and a sense of warmth in my heart. 

I looked up this author. He had written a book titled Even Cowgirls Get The Blues. I looked at my boots, and at my levi jeans, and realised I was a cowgirl today. From another novel he had written, Jitterbug Perfume, there is this:

“The unhappy person resents it when you try to cheer him up, because that means he has to stop dwelling on himself and start paying attention to the universe. Unhappiness is the ultimate form of self-indulgence. When you're unhappy, you get to pay a lot of attention to yourself. You get to take yourself oh so very seriously.” 


Wow, yes.

Popular Posts

Image

Southbound