Redefine "The Adventure"

"I hope you come alive whenever you are traveling to beautiful and far-off destinations, 
And I hope you also come alive in living rooms and heartfelt conversations, 
Because I promise you: 
Light is shining there too.
In all that is subtle and all that is grand,
I hope you come alive, fully present whenever you can."

- Morgan Harper Nichols

Had you asked me too weeks ago whether I felt alive in living rooms and heartfelt conversations, I would have half nodded and half said "uhhh maybe." And it wasn't that I don't adore living rooms and heartfelt conversations. I do - I sit down in a comfy chair and have heartfelt conversations every day - it's my vocation, after all.

But amidst these localised moments, I had not invited so purely and fully the presence of God to spark and ignite my soul, and so I began to yearn for the "elsewhere", thinking that the "elsewhere" would shine light that I could perceive, when I was blind to the clear-as-day light shining right in my immediate midst.

I had caught myself in a trap of the need to "go back to the place where you felt good" rather than "go back to the One who makes you feel good.

I know I have friends out there that since journeying into this faith reality have experienced this. One friend expressed longing for another place and realising that in the final moments prior to leaving for that place, they realised they had missed out on that light. They had missed those days being with the people they were in proximity to because those moments were not "the adventure."

We all long for adventure. But I think what we miss is that every day with God, every day in LIFE has adventure written all over it. A morning walk before dawn, a car chase around town eyeing down the last kebab shop open for that falafel fix, impromptu art sessions on your lounge room floor. In each of these moments the light shines. 

What we forget is that we are called to BE THE LIGHT (Matthew 5:16) and the only way we can be that light is if we get it from the Source (John 8:12). This is where we can come alive, fully present wherever we can. This is where we see that light shine in defiance of darkness. This is where we become content no matter what the circumstances. This is where we can know how to live humbly and how to abound. To live in the "average day-to-day" or to live in far distant places. Whether rich in materials or rich in "adventures", if we are poor in spirit and poor in spiritual health, the adventure is meaningless. The search for Light ceases and so does our joy.

I encourage you to redefine "the adventure." To go bounding and scampering and chasing after God in all that you do. To climb the hills of His honour, to stand beneath the escarpments of His unending joy. To wade through His favour and love, and to dance around, enraptured by the song of His heart.

I promise you,
That is where the light shines through.








Popular Posts

Image

Southbound