Australia, I have some questions for you.

So I arrive back in Australia after three days of travelling, three hours of sleep within those three days, and a look of death on my face. Before we even touch earth, a "Customs: Welcome to Australia" video plays on the plane, detailing quarantine procedures and the boarding card for tourists. I am hit with that accent. That drilling, twanging accent that has become a real novelty since spending eleven months in Europe. Despite the odd Aussie (and those who happened to be on exchange with me), I haven't really been in contact with "my people" in a large environment since I can remember. 

Then, as I disembarked, I could hear a faint guitar riff that I new very well and my response was "you have GOT to be kidding me!". Australia is a very patriotic country, but Chritine Anu's "My Island Home" from the mid 90's was twanging along as I strode along bags in hand, topping off the musical moment I had on the plane when we touched down and the flute riff from "Land Down Under" injected itself into my mind simultaneously. 

I saw bogans coming back from Cambodia laughing at how they literally got sprayed down before being allowed to come to Australia due to a flu spread, talking about how all they wanted now was a tinny and a durry. I knew I was home.

Question, Australia - what is this plastic nonsense you call your currency? I know not of this strange money and am still in the mindset of doing currency conversions in my head. Can't you just take my leftover euro and sterling ?

Question, Australia - what is this heat you subjected me to on exit from the airport? You know I've just been in Paris and London - I don't have time for your non-jumper/coat wearing nonsense. DON'T surprise me like that ever again, you hear? 

Question, Australia - where are the shots at? When I want to get loose quickly, how am I meant to do so on beer and alco-pops alone? Where is your cheap red wine at? Where is the off licence with the under 5 euro goods? I am so confused. 

Question, Australia - do you like my hideously white skin? I want to achieve Irish girl at the beach status. I think I'm not too far off.

Question, Australia - how long do you think it will take me to get used to you? Or, how long will it take for you to get used to me? 

Popular Posts

Image

Southbound