The Importance Of Being Honest

I have always had a problem with lying. It just doesn't sit right. If I were to make up a white lie, I'd start giggling like a little school girl and blurt out the truth less than a second later. I have to say "just kidding" literally before I've finished my previous sentence, nervous laughter tagging along behind.

But, if we're honest with ourselves, we're almost always using "just kidding" to get out of our instances of insincerity. It's a shame, because if we were honest and pure hearted to begin with, we wouldn't tag it on at the end, and we'd be breaking up trains of thought of our own and of the other person. Conversations wouldn't be muddled by having to fix up what we've spoilt in that moment.

I am as happy as a pig in mud when I get to use sarcasm. Though it is even that use of sarcasm that leaves a sour taste in my mouth. Why can't I just be kind, why do I find myself putting down others or confusing others just to entertain?

The importance of being honest lies in the simple truth (pun intended) behind the premise that when you are honest with others, you are honest with yourself. You will wake up each morning thinking "I'm Ruth and I'm ready for this day. Ain't nuthin' gonna break my stride..." and then continuing on downstairs to the kitchen sashaying side to side to Unique II's classic.

If you can get through a day without a lie, then you have done that day well, no matter what the measurable result is. There is no sense of self defeat, no cheating. You have earned the merit of that day. No matter what anyone else sees as to how your day has panned out, you know full well that the pureness to your intentions has gotten you through. And that's a nice feeling.

Popular Posts

Image

Southbound