Where You Once Were

2/11/19

There is a wrought iron bench on the front verandah. 
Foreign to me.

A nasturtium grows wildly, 
tracing the wall 
up towards the window 
that would 
howl in the evening wind. 

The winds 
would keep you awake. 
But your aching body, 
your racing mind - 
these, too, 
would keep you awake.

Mum, 
there are people living in your house 
that we don’t know. 
People that don’t know 
the life 
and grief 
that passed through the hallway. 

People that don’t know 
the nights you spent 
tracing the walls with your hands 
to keep your balance. 

People that don’t know 
the number 
of small pots 
of plain pasta 
I made for you on the gas stove. 
Little ramekins of fettuccine 
that you would only eat half of.

These people don’t know 
of the daily turmoil you faced 
not knowing 
if you were getting better 
or worse. 
Not knowing 
if you’d see it through 
to the end of the year, 
to the day I got married, 
to the sale of your beloved business 
and joy of flying.

There’s a wrought iron bench on the front verandah.
I hope they experience 
the joy of sunsets from that place. 
I hope they enjoy 
the nasturtium that you planted, 
growing wildly 
and tracing the wall below the window 
that brought light 
into your room. 
I hope they enjoy 
the sound of rain on the roof, 
the ticking of the gas heater 
in the front room 
during cooler nights. 

I hope that they, 
like us, 
do family things. 
The easy things 
and the hard things.
I hope that they can sense 
that a life 
so beautiful 
was momentarily stationed there.

Popular Posts

Image

Southbound